The most remembered cartoons of all time

The Mohammed cartoons furore reminds us of how influential cartoons can be. There are however only two cartoons that I know of which get recalled many years after their publication. I reproduce both below. Are there others?



TRUE HUMILITY.
Right Reverend Host. “I’m afraid you’ve got a bad Egg, Mr. Jones!”
The Curate. “Oh no, my Lord, I assure you! Parts of it are excellect!

That is from the magazine Punch, of 9th November 1895 and was by George du Maurier. The second is by Sir John Tenniel and refers to the dismissal of Bismarck by the Kaiser -- which was arguably the first step towards the two world wars. It also appeared in Punch, on 29 March, 1890



DROPPING THE PILOT

(For more postings from me, see TONGUE-TIED, EDUCATION WATCH, GREENIE WATCH, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WATCH, GUN WATCH, SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, AUSTRALIAN POLITICS and DISSECTING LEFTISM. My Home Page. Email me (John Ray) here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them