Woolworths' range shrinks again

This time last year, I went to Woolworths and bought myself a calendar. This year? No longer stocked. So yet again I went to the friendly Indian guy just outside Woolworths and got what I wanted. He even had a range of 8 different calendars to choose from -- all at the very reasonable price of $2.00.

I realize that Woolworths is no longer a variety store but became a grocer years ago. But about a quarter of their stock is non-grocery lines so the distinction is a tenuous one.

And the use they do make of shelf space often makes very little sense. Why do they have yards of shelf-space devoted to Coca Cola? Do they think that people will buy more Coke if they have 100 identical bottles to choose from rather than 50?

I have quite a lot of Woolworths shares so I fear that the firm has recently fallen into the hands of business school types, or some other airy-fairy types who are good at corporate-speak but know nothing about selling. Let me tell them the most basic truth of all about selling: If you don't stock it, you can't sell it. As basic as that is, the top brass at Woolworths don't seem to get it.

Posted by John Ray. For a daily critique of Leftist activities, see DISSECTING LEFTISM. For a daily survey of Australian politics, see AUSTRALIAN POLITICS Also, don't forget your daily roundup of pro-environment but anti-Greenie news and commentary at GREENIE WATCH . Email me (John Ray) here

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them